commons-daemon on windows, not honoring JvmMx setting?
Alex O'Ree
2018-04-16 13:37:33 UTC
I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode (couldn't
get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does not
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding something.
Any ideas?
Mark Thomas
2018-04-16 13:59:23 UTC
Post by Alex O'Ree
I've been experimenting with prunsrv and have been able to get my java
process to fire up as a windows service when using the "jvm" mode (couldn't
get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx" does not
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding something.
Any ideas?
Define "not honored".

Mark

Alex O'Ree
Mark Thomas
2018-04-26 12:36:52 UTC
Post by Alex O'Ree
I had it set to 300, task mgr listed it at 800
That looks normal.

"Maximum Java Heap Size" != "Maximum OS Memory footprint"

Mark
Alex O'Ree
2018-04-26 15:33:55 UTC
So 500mb overhead is normal?
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Any ideas?
Define "not honored".
Mark

Bernd Eckenfels
2018-04-26 15:39:32 UTC
Depends on a number of factors, but with Java I typically not start to worry because of a few 100mb (especially since there are quite a few different metrics, real virtual or resident).

But since your question is about the service runner I would definitely compare it to java.exe launcher and let us know.

What command line arguments do you use and how many threads are active?

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Any ideas?
Define "not honored".
Mark

Alex O'Ree
2018-04-26 19:00:24 UTC
--Jvm pointed directly at JRE/bin/server/jvm.dll or /bin/client/jvm.dll
(this part is populated based on tomcat's service.bat
--JvmMx 300
--StartMode jvm
--StopMode jvm

I've also tried adding the standard jvm xmx setting in ++JvmOptions however
it didn't appear to have any affect.
When running from the command line with java -Xmx300m -jar my.jar the
setting is honored. Tested by setting the Xmx to 100m which will cause OOM.

What is right for the service wrapper?
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:33:55 PM
To: Commons Users List
So 500mb overhead is normal?
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx"
does
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
not
Post by Alex O'Ree
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Any ideas?
Define "not honored".
Mark
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Any ideas?
Define "not honored".
Mark
Bernd Eckenfels
2018-04-26 20:03:25 UTC
So how does the visible memory usage differ?

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________

Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 5:33:55 PM
To: Commons Users List
So 500mb overhead is normal?
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
get java or exe to work). I am noticing that the setting "--JvmMx"
does
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
not
Post by Alex O'Ree
seem to be honored. According to the docs, it should.
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree
Any ideas?
Define "not honored".
Mark
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Maximum memory pool size in MB. (Not used in *exe* mode.)
Either my configuration is wrong or I'm just not understanding
something.
Post by Mark Thomas
Post by Alex O'Ree
Post by Alex O'Ree